Saturday, December 29, 2007

2007 Year in Review: Concerts

One of my hobbies is live music, I will go to almost any show, does not matter, if I know the artist or not. Well, let me rephrase.... I will pay for the ones I like, but I will gladly go to almost any show. Usually, I will come away a big fan. I, also, spend a considerable amount of my income on concerts, plays, etc. I feel like I am always going to see someone.. So, here are the best of my 2007 excursions....


5. Beyoncé (07/20/2007 at Philips Arena)


I am a HUGE Destiny's Child fan and I think Beyoncé is pretty great too! In 2005, I saw them perform at the Essence Music Festival and it was a phenomenal show. So, when I heard that Beyoncé was going on tour for her B'Day CD, I had to be there! The show was as amazing, as you could have imagined... I had fantastic seats (so close that Beyoncé gave a shout out to the guy sitting two rows behind me) and great company. Thanks to one of my friends, I talked to hot ass Bibi on the phone after the show!


While, I enjoyed the show, I did not realize how much until I saw the concert on BET and started feeling as hype as I was when I was there! Beyoncé, I might give you a hard time, but you are a hellavu performer! Brava brava! My boyfriend, Justin Timberlake did not give me the same feeling when I saw his HBO show, which is why he did not make the countdown... Sorry JT!


4. Atlanta Opera's Turandot (10/07/2007 at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre)


Speaking of Brava, some of you might not know that I adore opera... It touches my soul... This is my second year subscribing to the Atlanta Opera. This year, they made a controversial move from downtown to evil Cobb County and their new facility. I am not happy with the move, nor am I that happy with the Centre. However, the opera still has "it going on!" The performance was beautiful and the sets were AMAZING! If the move, meant that I could receive that calibre of a production, then I guess I will have to deal with it!


3. A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant and a Prayer: Writings to End Violence Against Women and Girls (09/26/2007 at Opera)


While this was not a concert, this event was touching, funny, soul-stirring and beautiful. This was a reading of Eve Ensler's, of Vagina Monologue fame, new book. Local celebrities gathered to read essays by men and women about the pain and frustration they had experienced as an abused woman, an abuser of women or a bystander, just as they had done for the annual Vagina Monologue event. The book is a must have for every man and woman....


To top it all off, I met Kenny Leon and Eve Ensler!


2. M.I.A. (10/31/2007 at Centre Stage)


This girl is so so so crunk, beyond words! She defines cool... I love anyone who can rock their own style and not give a fuck what anyone thinks and M.I.A. does that! I was turned on her by my BFF (not to be confused with my Liebling) and once I heard that she was doing a show in Atlanta...on Halloween, I knew we had to be there! Somehow, we got the hook up from one of the security guards that she was going to bring about 20 people onstage to dance with her. And, we were two of them! Amazing!



My Number 1 Concert of 2007 is....



Babyface with Special Guest AYO. (10/07/2007 at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre)


So, I LOVE AYO. (pronounced ah-you)! She is one of the four artist that I could listen to for the rest of my life, if I could only listen to four.... She is from Europe and when I stumbled upon her music, her CD had not yet been released in the US so, I had to order the international version from Amazon. I said, if she ever releases her CD in the States, I must buy another copy and if she comes to tour anywhere in the States, I will be there.... Well, her CD was released and I bought another copy and I found out that she was coming to Atlanta, opening for Babyface, I bought tickets the morning sales opened! With the best seats, I have ever had to see a major recording artist (5th row), I was set to see my AYO. I impressed everyone around me with knowing all the words to this unknown artist's songs. As one of my friends told me, they are all going to think that you are her best friend and that is why you know her music.... :-D And her show was amazing...she did not perform my favorite song, Letter by Letter, but she did perform her hits (at least on the European charts). So, I being all hyped after seeing her, and fulfilling my dream of seeing all of my favorite musicians perform live, I was set for a decent Babyface show.


I consider myself to be a Babyface fan. The man writes and sings great music... He was on tour to promote his new CD, which I did not have so, I was not too excited about his part of the show. Well, I know now that I should have been! For starters, his new CD is a bunch of covers so, I knew most of the songs on it already. Second, he only performed three songs from the new CD. What did he perform? All of his hits! All of the hits, he wrote for other people, well most of them.... I had the best time ever! He is so funny, charming and wonderful... Everytime I hear one of the songs on the radio, I think back to that night... And being on the 5th row, when I stood up to dance and sing, he saw me. Yep, Babyface and I made eye contact! :-D

No comments: